This is an older project and the quality of the pictures aren’t the best, but I still wanted to document this project. It was by far the most challenging, and it took forever!!!! It was inspired by a request from my Mother-in-Law for her grandson (my nephew). I think I started and trashed this sculpture about 56 times (a little over-exaggerated!) before finally settling on a plan of attack. Here’s the main body before details were added:
Once I had this basic shape, I started adding all of the fun details so that the ‘Cat in the Hat’ could begin materializing out of the wool. I realized, after finishing the sculpture, that little hands might unravel what took me so long to make. At this point, I choose to attach the ‘Cat in the Hat’ to a base. I started by making my own Cat in the Hat inspired blocks:
I started in my step-dad’s wood working shop, using a Band Saw for the very first time. Each block was then hand sanded and painted. I used an old Cat in the Hat book to select images and attached them to the blocks with Mod Podge. For the base, I used 3 canvases from the dollar store which I then painted and covered with a page from the book. This is the final product:
Besides being the hardest project I’d attempted thus far with needle felting, it was also the hardest to give away. I learned so much from making this piece, and it helped change my style of needle felting.